Friday, September 09, 2011
New 52! Green Arrow #1 Review
[may contain minor spoilers]
Okay, so Green Arrow is a character I pretty much know nothing about... Except for what I've seen on the TV series Smalleville and various appearances in Green Lantern comics. I know the guy is supposed to be really rich, similar to Bruce Wayne aka Batman. So, let's see how this comic turns out...
Oliver Queen, or the Green Arrow, is tracking down some "celebrity" criminals instead of being at an important executive meeting in which the future of his company Queen Industries is being decided. Queen seems like he has (or at least should have) an active role in his company.
Most Superheros seem to operate solo, but in Green Arrow's case, he has a little team that's looking over his shoulder and helping him along the way. Green Arrow, similar to Batman, has a lot of toys.. Arrows that he shoots with a collapsible bow that have specific functions. (How he knows what kind of arrow he's pulling from his quiver is beyond me... Muscle memory?) From arrows that stun bad guys to arrows that get shot into computer systems without damaging any of the hardware and establish remote connections that his team can then hax0r. Um... Realistic? Of course not... Neat idea? Love it... Where can I get one?
Writing. This comic pretty much embodies how I imagine comic book narratives. Action packed scenes with the cheeky conversations...
Y'know, the scenes where the protagonist says, "why don't you take a seat?!" as he flings a chair at said bad guy that ends up sitting in said chair?
"You're not a punk. You're worse. You're a loser." Remember kids... Don't do drugs! D.A.R.E.
Now, I know comic books are generally targeted to younger audiences. But I think the kids these days have graduated from using words like punk... Which by the way... Don't ever use that word in prison. It spells a lot of trouble, apparently...
One thing Green Arrow and Batman have in common... They both have somewhat of a vigilante spirit. They don't want to stay on the sidelines and watch people get hurt. They want to step in and take action themselves. I suppose that's what all superheros have in common...
Overall, this was a decent intro to Green Arrow. One things for sure, Green Arrow has quite a few characters that he'll have to deal with... Even one that looks like Chewbacca.
Writing: 7/10
Art: 7/10
Storytelling: 7/10
Overall: 7/10
I'm not sure if I'll give Green Arrow another go... Maybe #2 will be a little better.
Labels:
Green Arrow,
new 52
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment