Friday, September 09, 2011

New 52! Batman Detective Comics #1 Review

Batman Detective Comics #1
I'm still trying to figure out a good system on evaluating the comics I'm reviewing.  I thought about reviewing comics based on three aspects: writing, art, and storytelling

Again, this is just my opinion and what does my opinion mean?  Pretty much nothing.  This is just my personal feelings.

Writing - There is only so much space in a comic book to give the reader an idea / feeling of the characters' thoughts, feelings, aspirations, etc.  How well did that come across?

Art - How well did the art match up with script?  And what is the overall quality?

Storytelling - Pretty much... Did I feel like I was immersed in the world this creative team is presenting?

Each category is out of 10 points and then averaged for my overall assessment.

[ may consist of minor spoilers ]

Gruesome.  Shocking.  Disgusting.  Three words that jump out to me after reading this comic.  There's a reason why, I feel, Batman has always done well in comics and on the big screen.  Batman doesn't have super-powers and neither do the criminals (per se).  Everything is so grounded, dark, scary, and just raw.

Written and drawn by Tony Salvador Daniel... Wait?  He does both?  What a talent!!  Where does he find the time?!

The comic starts out with an inner-monologue by Batman.  Throughout the comic, we get Batman's insights:  from his deductive thinking to calling the police idiots.  Consistent with the world that was introduced in Justice League #1, the police don't like Batman with exception to a detective he meets on the roof-top.

One thing that isn't explained yet is Batman's relationship with Detective Gordan (I believe that's his name)  I don't even think they even mention his name, how the Bat-signal was made, and why the detective has a "working relationship" with Batman.  To a first time reader that doesn't know anything about Batman, this could be a little confusing...

The story is pretty cliche, but very well written and drawn.  Batman chases the psychotic Joker...  Nothing new (to me) except the Joker isn't playing silly tricks like he did in some of the cartoon portrayals.  The Joker is one crazy and scary guy!  Tony gives us a little hint of something more going on other than Joker causing havoc.  Dr. Arkham (i.e. Arkham Asylum?) and the Joker are up to something...  Last page of the comic is just disturbing.  You'll have to read it to know what I mean...

I'm really looking forward to reading more of this comic and excited to know what happens next!

Writing: 9/10
Art: 8/10.  Some shots of Batman on the rooftop seemed disproportionate to other shots... Mostly his cap was one crazy big bed sheet.  Tony deserves big props though for writing and drawing!
Storytelling: 8.5/10

Overall: 8.5 / 10


No comments: