Monday, January 17, 2011

Day 18 - Breaking the Habit

Yes, I know...  17 days into the blog, I've already broken the streak.  Frankly, it was actually getting difficult to reflect on a blessing without repeating myself.  It's easy to recognize a blessing when it's something small and that is not, necessarily, something I want to write about on my blog.  Otherwise it would be a bulleted list of:

God thank you for x.

That's not what I consider really counting a blessing.  Personally, if I want to count a blessing I want it to have a sense of depth and meaning.  Should I really be thinking about blessings this way or do you think counting every single thing is just as important? Even the most trivial?  What really constitutes a blessing anyway?  Thank you for this DVD?  Thank you for the ability to use Net Flix on my X-Box?  Thank you for the X-Box?

Put it quite simply:  counting a blessing is not easy.  You can think about it in passing and in a brief whisper in your mind, but to really sit and reflect about what God has blessed you with...  That can take a lot of reflection and perspective to even recognize.  I'm asking God for the clarity of mind to show me what He's blessed me with and how I can be thankful.  I almost want to pull my hair out because I just can't see them.  I've written about my family, career, school...  But there has to be more!  This life He's given me is like a ball of yarn that I have to unravel.

This journey is taking a little bit of a turn, from what I've noticed.  I'm taking the time to recognize these blessings, but in turn, He's turning me to pay more attention to Him instead of what He's blessed me with.  He'll continue to bless me and through knowing Him, I'll be more likely to recognize them even if those blessings come in the form of what we might consider negative.  That is what I want to know...  That is what I want to understand...  And right now I can't...  So I call it "breaking the habit" of an unnoticing eye.

With that aside...  I'm also trying to break another bad habit of mine which, I'm sure, many of you have or are suffering from... Procrastination!!  I am a pro at this and it's not something I'm proud of.  I definitely have to kick it, if I want to keep up in this MBA program!  We all know what is keeping us from doing what we really need to be doing... For me (in order):


#1 - Video Games is my #1 culprit
#2 - Facebook and YouTube
#3 - Television
#4 - Overall laziness

I seriously need to kick this habit...

No comments: