To whom it may concern,
This trimester, I learned that there were new financial aid policies
that were put in place. Specifically, that students were unable to use
company reimbursement (the deferment to the end of the trimester) in
combination with student loans to pay for tuition. It has been
explained to me that I can only use either students loans or company
reimbursement -- not both. This has caused quite a financial burden to
me and other students attending [school name withheld]. In addition,
this also causes students that do not have the financial means to pay
the balance to apply for additional, unnecessary loans; that is, Grad Plus
Loans.
I am blessed that my company provides up to $5,250 in company
reimbursements a year to qualified employees. With the current tuition,
this will only cover about one class in the MBA program. Subsidized
and unsubsidized Stafford loans will not cover the entire trimester;
therefore, I am left with the situation to either: 1) request Grad Plus
loans 2) Drop a class and delay my graduation date or 3) wipe out my
savings account and ask family members for assistance. All three
options are all unfavorable and unacceptable.
The financial aid office was gracious enough to put me on a three
payment plan to pay the balance of my tuition which amounts to 1,483.00
for the next three months. This is equal to 2 months of mortgage
payments. That, to me, is unfair and makes it difficult to attend
school.
I would very much like to know what legislation specifically states that
us, as students, cannot use company reimbursement and students loans
together. You have and will receive the balance owed once I receive my
grades and company reimbursement (as I've done in the past without
fail), so I do not see the need for this type of policy. However, I
would like to learn more about these laws and, if necessary, approach my
Congressman about this issue to express how unfair this is to students
trying to get their education and graduate in a timely manner.
Best Regards,
Carlos Soriano
No comments:
Post a Comment