Sunday, November 06, 2011

Do Something That Scares You - London 2012

"Do something each day that scares you..."  A quote by Eleanor Roosevelt, and something my friend Shawn told me, as he left for the rest of his world travels.  It left me thinking about my life... In fact, I've been doing a lot of thinking about my life this trimester; especially because of this leadership class I'm currently enrolled.  The professor has us doing a lot of introspective examination -- something I'm only now fully appreciating.

I'm 28 (ugh! two more years till the big 3-0) years old and nearly finished with my MBA program, and I've come to the realization to how little I've experienced the world.  Everyone seems to tell me how I should be proud of all my accomplishments: a good career, a mortgage...  I'm just missing the other two M's - matrimony and maternity.  Well, I'm not quite sure that's going to be happening anytime soon!  Don't get me wrong, I recognize my blessings and thank God for them everyday.  I just feel like I'm missing out on a lot...

I've been doing a lot of thinking around what I really want in my life: career, perspective, achievement, fulfillment... someone to love.

So, in an attempt to do something COMPLETELY out of my comfort zone and something that ABSOLUTELY terrifies me is to travel... ALONE!  Not a big deal to some people, but for me... It's like jumping out of a plane (something that I actually wouldn't mind doing).  Imagine that... I'd rather jump out of a plane than travel to a foreign country alone.

Where to, you ask? London!

London

I've always wanted to visit London.  I think it has a lot to do with my love for JRR Tolkien and CS Lewis.  Nevertheless, I am nervous, scared, but really excited.

I'll be in London July 21-28th.  Just in time to, perhaps, experience the opening ceremonies of the 2012 Olympics!  Fortunately, all the traveling and working in LA has paid off as I have enough Hilton points to cover most, if not the entirety, of my stay.  I'll be staying at the Courthouse DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel London on Regent Street.  An absolutely AMAZING looking hotel which was, apparently, a jail or courthouse back in the day.


I still need to find accommodations for a portion of my stay; fortunately, I have a friend that's a hotel manager that is assisting me with my search.  Until then, I'll be doing a lot of research and planning of activities. I have a lot of "must-sees" so, hopefully, I can squeeze them in!

If you have any suggestions, please feel free to comment!

~~~
On another note...
The business simulation class is FINALLY over and I'll have a little more time to spend on my blogs.

I'll still be writing comic reviews here and there.  Most of my initial reviews were just to cover the #1 issues of DC Comic's new 52.

Please visit Shawn's blog: http://rockyontheroad.wordpress.com/.  He's a daring, interesting, fun, and courageous friend that's embarking on an amazing world tour!  I'm super jealous of where he's been and where he's going.  Definitely someone that has motivated and inspired me to...  Just do it.  Just travel and have fun doing it...

Also, subscribe to my good friend Natasha's blog: http://www.inlovewithsandiego.com/.  She, too, played a big role in me booking my trip.  In her own words, "Doooooo iitttttt." Hah


2 comments:

m2e said...

i have a lot of ideas! i'll call you this weekend to talk. miss you so much!

Eat, Drink and be a Vinny said...

That is really awesome! I love to travel, one of my favorite aspects of serving in the Navy. I can see how doing it alone would be scary, but that was Mrs. Roosevelt's point=d I hope you have a wonderful and enriching experience!