Monday, October 10, 2011

New 52! Green Lantern New Guardians #1 Review


Written by: Tony Bedard
Art by: Tyler Kirkham

I was somewhat skeptical when I first bought Green Lantern New Guardians.  I thought it was going to be some cheesy spin off where DC was milking the Green Lantern series for all its recent successes: movies, Blackest Night, etc.

I was proved wrong...

[minor spoiler]

I'm a little confused as to when this comic actually takes place.  I can't tell if it's before or after the new 52 Green Lantern and Green Lantern Corps... I'm going to assume before because, both, Green Lantern and Green Lantern Corps refer to Kyle Rayner being around...  And the comic starts out with  a retelling of Kyle Rayner (my favorite Green Lantern) and how he is inducted into the Green Latnern corps by Ganthet, the last surviving Guardian of the Universe.  If you are familiar with the pre-new 52 story, Kyle Rayner is inducted into the corps and ends up saving the Green Lantern corps after Hal Jordan completely destroys everything.

Even though the story spans across several different worlds, it's pretty easy to follow.  The story really gets interesting as a lantern from each of the emotional spectrums is decommissioned and each ring  makes it way towards Sector 2814 aka Earth.  After saving people from a construction accident, the rings show up, all saying "Kyle Rayner you have been chosen."

I'm not quite sure what the writer is saying here...  Kyle Rayner is chosen to wear ALL the colors of the emotional spectrum?  Red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, and violet... Rainbow colors... Kyle Rayner... Hey now! *snaps*

Tony Bedard does a really good job alluding to each world and previous green lanterns without being too wordy or concerned with the details.  It's perfect.  Tyler Kirkham's art is amazing, except for, where are the Blue lanterns?  You see almost every other corps except them... I guess we'll see!

I'm definitely getting issue #2

Writing: 9/10
Art: 9/10
Storytelling: 10/10

Overall: 9.33/10

2 comments:

Matt said...

I enjoyed this one as well, cool way to pull all the Lanterns together.

itsmecarl123 said...

Should be interesting! Thanks for commenting on my blog! You're officially the first person to comment on any of my comic reviews! Hahaha