Saturday, October 08, 2011
New 52! Aquaman #1 Review
Written by: Geoff Johns
Art by: Ivan Reis
Aquaman!? The one character that I think everyone has made fun of at one point or another. He's usually the punchline of some joke and not many people would consider him a bad ass superhero. How do you make someone like this cool? There was going to be a television show (similar to Smallville) about Aquaman, but that got squished pretty quick. If there are two people that could do it, it's probably Geoff Johns (Squee!) and Ivan Reis! You might be familiar with some of their work: Green Lantern, Brightest Day, Blackest Night...
Geoff Johns quickly uses the "uncool" factor to introduce some humor into the comic and Ivan Reis does a great job capturing the smirk and shock on the faces of people when Aquaman enters the scene. It's pretty much, "what the "bleep" is this guy doing here? There's no water or fish around... Bye bye tuna-man" Even after saving the day, the police still poke jokes, "need a glass of water?" Haha! I'm really loving this!
My verdict: I am really into Aquaman! Really good story: it's funny, great back story, and I can't wait to read what happens with the nasty creatures that have shown up. I highly recommend you grab a copy!
Writing: 10/10
Art: 10/10
Storytelling: 10/10
Overall: 10/10
Geoff Johns has done it again :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment